Chains of recognition.Posted: January 18, 2012
The talented, funny folks over at eyelaugh.wordpress.com have included me in this Versatile Blogger Award thing that I’ve been seeing around. It was a pleasant surprise. Eyelaugh is a bright spot in my often dark (by choice) blogroll, and I always enjoy coming across one of their new comics in my reader. (Thanks for choosing The Paranormalist guys!)
When I think about the award itself, I realize that it’s all about the networking. It’s a nice way to share other blogs with one’s regular readers. With that in mind, I’ll follow the rules and offer the award to 15 folks on my list. With a couple of exceptions, I’ll try to keep my suggestions in line with my theme.
Each recipient can do as they please with the award – some folks might not have the inclination to play along, and that’s ok with me.
Before I list my nominees, I should share “The rules for the Versatile Blogger Award”:
1) Thank the person who nominated you and link back to them in a post
2) Share 7 things about you
3) Pass the award on to 15 more bloggers
4) Contact the bloggers you have chosen to let them know that they have been selected
Seven things about The Paranormalist:
- I already have a ‘13 things you’d hate about me‘ list on my Backstory tab.
- I chose to educate my son at home, independent of a school for entirely secular, academic reasons
- …and the term “home school” makes me choke every time I use it. (It makes me think of homespun.)
- My favorite flowers are freesia and wild roses.
- I adore seafood – well, more specifically, shellfish.
- I sleep, almost every night, with the TV on.
- I believe there are very few situations that a hot – really hot – bath can’t improve upon or make better.
Now, my nominees:
First, my Tumblr blogs(?) – I’m not sure they are blogs in the traditional sense, but I subscribe to them via my google reader. I can’t even figure out how to comment on their posts – so I don’t know how I’m going to inform them of my selection. In truth, I still haven’t really figured out what a Tumblr is supposed to be, but I love these images that come streaming at me. (Be aware – in the first two, there is occasional partial nudity in the form of Victorian images.)
- Strange is Beautiful
- Maudelynn’s Menagerie
- Huff’s Weird Blog (This and the next are more traditionally styled blogs.)
- My Paranormal Podcast
Now for the at-least-slightly-paranormal-flavored blogs at WordPress and Blogger, as well as the self-hosted:
- Ghost Cities (these first four are writers to watch, who also happen to write entertaining blogs)
- Hunter Shea
- Mark My Words
- Creature with the Atom Brain (horror movie reviews)
- Aden Moss (I haven’t wrapped my head around this, but I think there’s something brilliant going on.)
- My Ethereality (a lovely, historical blog with a steampunk feel)
And, finally, these are distinctly not-paranormal – but I really enjoy the voice / writing / work of the authors:
- Cultivating the Art of Sustenance (hog farming and writing in Michigan, USA)
- Hoola Tallulah (crafting in rural Hertfordshire, UK)
- Commonplace Crazy (free grammar lessons included)
- Sad Man’s Tongue Rockabilly Bar & Bistro – Prague (all things rockabilly, including pinups)
- # 16 – don’t forget to check out EyeLaugh while you’re surfing the links.
That was harder than I thought it would be. I faithfully read other blogs as well, and I enjoy each for its own strengths. In the end – I guess – I chose the blogs which I think might most appeal to you – let me know if you find a new love thanks to my recommendations.
If you are one of the blogs I selected above, and you want to participate:
- Download (save file as) the Versatile Blogger Award icon found above, then upload it to your blog in a post similar to this. I’ll be looking forward to your suggestions.