The Paranormalist blog is about: Finessing bipolarity. Writing horror. Chasing ghosts. And otherwise navigating a paranormal life.
Para- / par-ə / Prefix. ”Alongside, near, beyond, altered, contrary to.”
normal / nawr-muhl / Adjective. “Conforming to the standard; usual; regular; natural.”
-ist / Ist / A suffix of nouns. “A person who practices or is concerned with something, or holds certain principles, doctrines, etc.”
As long as I’m defining words, I want to clarify my use of the word “gothic” throughout this blog. The small ‘g’ is not a mistake.
- goth·ic / goth-ik / adjective. “Often not capitalized: of or relating to a style of fiction characterized by the use of desolate or remote settings and macabre or mysterious incidents.”
And the word is NOT reserved for full-on Goths – who are awesome and cool – but who don’t have exclusive rights to the descriptor.
The Paranormalist is a lifestyle blog … albiet a peculiar one.
It’s meant to meet the needs of those readers who – like me – actively pursue the sensation of being deliciously creeped out, even as they function in a mostly non-paranormal world. The general feed (home) of the site may include any of the following post topics:
- PERSONAL – most often about the challenges and rewards of having a mild psychological condition, being a writer, and being fascinated by strange, eerie, paranormal things. (Just as the blog’s tagline suggests.)
- DARK MEDIA – occasional in-depth reviews, but usually collections of themed options when you’re looking for a particular macabre experience or mood (movies, hobbies, activities, music, books, etc.) Links to such posts are entombed at Courting Creepy.
- GOTHIC / ARTISTIC LIFESTYLE – articles about food, exercise, personal style, relationships, and productivity – all specially twisted to meet the needs of horror fans and dark artists. Links to such post are on display in Body Preservation.
- PARANORMAL – examinations and explorations of mysterious phenomena. (Use the search by category widget to find your favorite horror.) To read some first-hand accounts of my experiences, venture into My Ghosts and Monsters.
- OTHER – reblogs, spotlights, excerpts, etcetera.
The Paranormalist has grown into a sometimes-confounding thicket of topics. If you lose your bearings, check the header tabs and the sidebar for guidance. Or just subscribe and allow the home feed to carry you on a journey through my shifting obsessions and unpredictable tangents.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Small-city dweller, aspiring-writer, and amateur paranormalist seeks non-vicious agent, editors, publishers and haunts. Qualifications: Works in a variety of (usually food, liquor and lodging related) jobs, as the family budget requires, throughout on-going mothering career. Raised 2 kids into brilliant, creative, kind, nerds. Supervises home school education of remaining minor child. Dotes on dog; tolerates cat. Occasionally does volunteer work for environmental groups and service organizations. Knits. Loves all things retro. Has completed several drafts of a novel, started two more, and is incubating another half-dozen or so. Has no interest in sending anything into the light.
13 things you’d hate about me:
* I don’t enjoy holidays.
I’m obsessive & absent-minded.
I smoke. And I don’t want to quit.
My moods are unpredictable AND obvious.
I have no real perception or understanding of the passage of time.
I rarely answer my home phone. When I do, I hang up as soon as I possibly can.
I refuse to drive on freeways, and despise straying from my established routes.
Socially, I always want to do the same thing: meet on a patio, drink beer and talk.
I avoid conflict by humoring you or avoiding you, but I seethe.
I seek excessive intimacy … sometimes inappropriately.
I plan too much and do too little.
I’m not a good secret-keeper.
* except Halloween
My creed / mission statement / holy quest:
I intend to use my innate qualities to
nurture my intimates and my animals,
explore the natural and paranormal world,
and develop a rewarding writing career,
while recognizing and celebrating the joy of being alive.